REVIEW: Relentless by Cassia Leo
(Shattered Hearts #1)
by Cassia Leo
Claire Nixon is a twenty-year-old college dropout with a secret.
To Claire, Adam Parker is just another flirty customer at the cafe, until a chance encounter and seemingly innocent comment spurs a bet between them. The bet is simple: If Adam can get Claire to reveal the secret that made her drop out of college, she has to re-enroll. If he doesn’t succeed, she gets to keep her secret and he has to stop stalking her at the cafe.
Claire thinks she has this one in the bag. She’s perfected the art of forgetting her past. But she isn’t prepared for Adam’s relentless pursuit or for him to share his own secrets. And she’s definitely not prepared for her rock star ex, and her secret, to come banging down her door one year later.
New Adult Contemporary Romance: Due to strong language, drug use, and sexual content, this book is not intended for readers under the age of 18.
This is yet another new twist on the new adult genre. I’ve been pretty happy with all the different ways the recent authors I’ve had here at New Adult Addiction have been able to take a similar story – college and life that surrounds it – and twist it into something original. Relentless by Cassia Leo is no exception. Claire is college age, but she’s not in college because she quit. She had a damn good reason to quit, but that’s all part of The Big Secret.
This whole story centers around The Big Secret of why Claire left school and her new (hot) neighbor, who relentlessly pursues her – both to get to know her physically and emotionally. But that’s not the reason this book is called Relentless, Claire has a secret past life, and as the story moves along, the layers to what’s behind her erratic behavior, her meditation, and her walls get peeled back.
The ending is absolutely the best part of this novel and even though when I looked back I saw how it all fit together, I really didn’t suspect it to turn out the way it did. This book has a great ending. Claire is a terrific character and for all the problems in her life, she is holding steady – she is strong, determined, and courageous. I loved Claire. Adam has his own secrets and I’ll just say right now, I loved the surfing aspect to this story. I haven’t read a lot of surfing references in the new adult books out these days, so that little detail added to the setting and really gave the book a very unique feel.
Also, while Adam was cute and a total good guy (wince) I think I’m going for Chris. It’s just hard to imagine that Claire will be able to resist what he’s offering, and I’m not talking about fame and fortune. I’ll hold off any “team declaration” until I read the second book, which I hear is coming out fairly soon, so yay!
Ten Fun Facts About Cassia Leo
- Favorite movies: The Jerk and Waking the Dead.
- I’m four degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.
- Favorite books: The Book Thief, Nineteen Eighty-Four, and Perks of Being a Wallflower.
- I’m tri-lingual and I’ve lived in three different countries; most recently, I spent six months in Portugal last year.
- Favorite movie quotes: From The Jerk, “My mother gave up everything to put me through cosmetology school,” and, “What’s happening to my special purpose?!” If you’ve read Relentless you won’t be surprised to know that I wrote a techno remix consisting of my favorite lines from Titanic. The first line of the song is, “I see the iceberg and I see it in your eyes.” Maybe someday I’ll record it and post it on SoundCloud. 😉
- My favorite word is wanderlust.
- Favorite music artists: Adele, Florence + the Machine, Agnes Obel, The Beatles, Rage Against the Machine.
- I can do a one-handed cartwheel.
- Favorite TV shows: Sex and the City, Homeland, Revenge, So You Think You Can Dance.
- I drink my coffee black and with a pinch of salt.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Cassia Leo loves her coffee, chocolate, and margaritas with salt. When she’s not writing, she spends way too much time watching old reruns of Friends and Sex and the City. When she’s not watching reruns, she’s usually enjoying the California sunshine or reading—sometimes both. Her favorite color is lavender and her dream is to one day score a record deal based on her awesome shower singing skills.
Author Contact Information: